ASEAN Youth Citizen Journalism Contest 2017 Win Up To USD 1000
International Essay Competition | The following Essay Writing Contest is organized by The ASEAN Senior Officials Meeting on Youth (SOMY), in October 2017. ASEAN Youth Citizen Journalism Contest 2017 invites “Citizen Journalists” to submit an essay describing a theme that is important to youth in the ASEAN Community, such as youth entrepreneurship, employment, awareness raising, volunteerism and leadership, and building resilient community. This contest is open to Any existing or aspiring citizen journalist who is NOT full-time employees of established media outlets. Win up to
USD $ 1,000 and
FREE TRAVEL TO SINGAPORE, and
Join a four-day
citizen journalism workshop for FREE.
ASEAN Youth Citizen Journalism Contest 2017 Win Up To USD 1000
DEADLINE: October 13th, 2017
essay on youth entrepreneurship, employment,
volunteerism and leadership, and building resilient community in
ASEAN. And explain
your selected theme, why it is important for youth in ASEAN, how it is relevant in your own life. In 600 WORDS,
12-point Times New Roman font, double spaced.
THlS CONTEST IS OPEN TO: Any existing or aspiring citizen journalist who is NOT full-time employees of established media outlets.
ASEAN Citizens, residing in their home country, age 18-30
WIN: up to
USD $ 1,000
FREE TRAVEL TO SINGAPORE
Join a four-day
citizen journalism workshop for FREE,
The ASEAN Senior Officials Meeting on Youth (SOMY) is pleased to announce the 2017 ASEAN Youth Citizen Journalism contest. We are inviting “Citizen Journalists” to submit an essay describing a theme that is important to youth in the ASEAN Community, such as youth entrepreneurship, employment, awareness raising, volunteerism and leadership, and building resilient community. Based on their essay submissions, up to 20 youth will be competitively selected to participate in a workshop where they will develop and implement a social awareness activity in their respective countries.
A “Citizen Journalist” is a member of the general public who is interested making a positive contribution to his/her community by collecting and disseminating and/or publishing news and information based upon his/her observations, research, or through other means. Through this initiative we invite active young citizen journalists to produce and publish content related to the ASEAN Community and its impact on youth.
This contest is supported by the ASEAN Foundation and the U.S. Government through
ASEAN-U.S. PROGRESS, a joint project of the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and U.S. State Department. Additional support is being provided by the Singapore-ASEAN Youth Fund and Singapore Polytechnic.
Who can apply?
1) Any existing or aspiring citizen journalist that holds an ASEAN member country passport (Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam) and resides in the country of citizenship. Note: professional journalists who are full-time employees of established media outlets are not eligible to compete.
2) Applicants must be between 18 and 30 years of age on October 13th, 2017.
3) Selected finalists must have a valid passport allowing them to travel to Singapore and must be able to communicate fluently in both spoken and written English.
4) Selected finalists must have active Facebook and Gmail accounts for easy communication with the trainer and other participants.
How to apply?
1) Write an essay on one of the selected themes described above, explaining the theme, why it is important for youth in ASEAN, how it is relevant in your own life. Essays must be written in English, contain a maximum of 600 words, use 12-point Times New Roman font and be double spaced.
2) In a separate document, list any supporting references to existing publications or sources that support the information in the essay. Such references can be in any format, such as text, photos, infographics and audio/video. This document will be uploaded as part of the application package.
3) Visit www.aseanyouthcjcontest.com
, complete the application form and upload the two attachments: 1) essay and 2) supporting references.
Deadline for applications:
October 13th, 2017 at 5:00pm Jakarta/Bangkok time
Application process and evaluation criteria
A selected panel of judges will evaluate your essay submission. The selection criteria are outlined below:
1) Clarity of ideas: The essay clearly demonstrates understanding of the theme and why it is important to youth in ASEAN Community.
2) Creativity: The essay is written in a creative and compelling way with a thoughtful approach from youth perspective.
3) Potential reader impact: The essay conveys personal or aspirational thoughts that are inspiring to viewers.
4) Originality: In spite of being supported by existing publications/references, the essay should show originality and has never been published by any other authors.
Following the evaluation process, the 20 finalists (two from each ASEAN Member State) will be selected to participate in a citizen journalism workshop in Singapore on 6—11 November 2017.
What to expect in the workshop?
1) The two selected finalists from each ASEAN Member State (AMS) will be paired as a team representing their country.
2) During the workshop each country team will develop one agreed upon activity proposal to raise aware of and address a pressing issue related to ASEAN in their home country and pitch this proposal to the trainer and judges.
3) The trainer and judges will evaluate the proposal pitches and provide feedback to the finalists.
What happens after the workshop?
Following the workshop, each team will be required to implement their proposed activity to attract public engagement. Each Team will be required to submit at least three (3) content posts (eg: news articles, photos, videos, etc.) in English to be evaluated and published on the ASEAN Citizen Journalism Facebook Page. Activity and content will then be evaluated based on several indicators such as the amount of content published, the diversity of the content format, the frequency of the publication of the content, and audience engagement. Following the evaluation, the top three teams will be announced to receive a cash prize to support the sustainability of the activity.
Copyright By submitting an entry to the contest, participants agree to grant ASEAN, ASEAN Foundation, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), and the U.S. Mission to ASEAN the right to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the entry in any media at any time.
Timeline and Process
Applications are submitted to www.aseanyouthcjcontest.com
October 13th at 5:00 pm Jakarta/Bangkok Time
Technical Evaluation Panel reviews submissions.
October 16th –27th
Shortlisted citizen journalists from AMS are notified, interviewed, and requested to verify their eligibility.
October 27th –29th
Top 20 selected citizen journalists announced.
The 20 selected finalists participate in a four-day citizen journalism workshop in Singapore to develop and pitch their Citizen Journalism campaign proposals.
20 finalists execute their citizen journalism campaign proposal and submit 3 required content posts in English to ASEAN Youth Citizen Journalism Facebook Page.
November 13th – December 13th
Technical Evaluation Panel reviews final content posts to determine the top three teams.
December 18th –20th
Top three winners announced and prizes awarded
January 8th, 2018
If you have questions regarding the ASEAN Youth Citizen Journalism Contest 2017, please contact: AYCJ@aseanfoundation.org
[ 638 view ]
(Source Link) : goo.gl/CrHCJV
international competition essay competition asean youth citizen journalism contest competition october 2017